March 23, 2010

music.

   This last weekend I was in wedding as a groomsman. You know the drill. As a member of the wedding party I had to get there 4 hours early. I started to think of what I could do to pass the time. We relaxed in the parlor to kill a few hours after pictures were taken and a friend started playing a familiar song on the piano. "Colorblind" by the County Crows started to fill the room.

   I went over to watch, wishing that I too was talented enough to leisurely play a few tunes from a piano when the time called. Justin, a fellow groomsman and friend, began to show me how to play the song. It wasn't very hard to learn and it left a craving to continue to learn how to play the piano; a skill I wished I had possessed for many years now.

   After the wedding was over, I could not stop thinking about getting to a piano so I could continue to polish my newly acquired song. The next day I found myself in a Best Buy staring at the keyboards. I ended up buying a cheaper Yamaha keyboard. I took it home, unwrapped the box, and plugged in the keyboard. I began playing, and I couldn't stop.

   Today, it is tuesday. I have played everyday since for several hours at a time. If you added my total hours, I would be in the double digits. And still it is something that the time passes quickly with. Its such a cool thing to have something that I enjoy and look forward to, and to see drastic improvement in something that I just started to pick up.

   I remember when I first learned a song on my guitar in college. A buddy had showed me how to play a popular song of the day and I couldn't stop playing in my room. Everyday. Playing. Hours gone. I could never get enough guitar. And I would continue to play until I developed that skill to something that now, years later, I realize I have a talent/ gifting in, even though I still have A LOT more to learn than I already know.

   It is exciting to see the same forward progression/ desire with piano. Who knows what will happen?


jmh

1 comment:

  1. always exciting when you discovery a new lens to an existing joy!

    ReplyDelete