August 20, 2013

Turning Thirty!



I made a promise to myself to journal about my life at certain milestones (every 5 or 10 years) beginning with the year that I turned thirty.  Here is a snipit of the initial entry I journaled last spring...

April 3, 2012
Jason,
Today finds me on a plane across the Mediterranean Sea heading home to propose to the one I love.  The next step in front of me is an exciting endeavor that I have waited for many days.  Today, I am 30.  I wouldn’t take back any moment in my entire life.
The last 10 years have been filled with many things that I am proud of.  In that span, I have graduated college, worked in ministry, been an older brother to Kirby (including baptizing him), volunteered in a children's home in Nepal, become skilled at playing guitar, spent a summer in Moscow, Russia, run a marathon, biked 100 miles, been to Mt. Everest, toured the Holy Land, and taught Math and Bible in Bethlehem.  Today, I am 30.  One may venture to guess that my experiences would indicate a different age as I have done things some people will never get to do in their lifetime.  However, as I am glad to say, my life is just beginning.  
As I look over my shoulder at the past decade, I see more clearly the picture God has been painting.  Sometimes things happen and we wonder, “Why am I going through this,” or “what is God doing exactly?”  I don’t claim to know extensively the connectedness of things, events, people, and experiences that God has brought in my days and how they tell of a much larger story, and even how that story lives on into the future, but I do see loose ends slowly coming together.  And yet, this painting that God is designing gains more color and detail with each new day.  With my last breath, like Jesus, I desire to utter the words, “It is finished,” in response to a life lived without regret...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


jmh

No comments:

Post a Comment